About Snoring. What Causes Snoring? Snoring Remedies.
Snoring occurs when there is restricted airflow while you sleep. Whether in your nose or in your throat, any obstruction can lead to snoring.
What Causes Snoring?
Snoring can be caused by various factors including:
- Sinus infections - create inflammation blocking airways
- Colds/Flu - create mucous blocking airways
- Drugs - alcohol, muscle relaxers, sleeping aids can cause muscles to collapse and block airflow
- Deformities of the nasal cavity - reduce the airflow
- Weak throat or tongue muscles - can shift back and pinch the throat
- Obesity and/or excessive throat tissue - obstructed airways
Snoring and Sleep Apnea. Snoring is sometimes a sign of sleep apnea. Snorers who suffer from excessive fatigue during the day my be suffering from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA).
A Snoring mouthpiece is one of the most effective snoring remedies. The snoring mouthpiece is commonly used by habitual snorers.
Snoring surgery - is an excellent option for snorers who suffer from severe snoring that cannot be treated with a snoring mouthpiece. Snoring surgeries
typically consist of removing excess tissues to open up airways.
Light snorers may benefit from over the counter snoring remedies including:
- anti snoring pillow - adjusts the position of your head to improve airflow
- nasal strips - open the nasal cavity to improve airflow
- throat sprays - lubricate the throat to minimize vibrations
Additionally, snorers may benefit from various exercise that help strengthen throat and tongue muscles. Practicing these exercises during the day can help snorers at night.
Sausalito Dentistry has been serving the San Francisco Bay Area for over 20 years.